Tuesday, January 24, 2012

DC vs. Marvel

 http://youtu.be/eR4XaK6F5-s

The debate continues for fandom.   For me though its DC.   Why?    Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman .. well, and all of the nifty animated movies, shows, and trade paper backs.    But I think its because I never grew up on it.   Sure I had the Superman vs. Muhammad Ali book, which is my favorite piece of all (Neal Adams artwork ... seriously amazing) .. but I was a Marvel man until the 2000's.   First comics I had as a kid was Fantastic four, and Captain America, and tons of Spiderman, as I said, early Marvel boy. The few DC comics I owned (besides the aformentioned) were few, but stood apart. Sgt. Rock, a Brave and a Bold with Batman finding .. Hitler?? yup, and Aquaman.  Yea, laugh it up, but that Aquaman comic, and I have no recollection of who did the artwork or who wrote it, was good.  Really.   What brought me to the DC line though was when I started collecting heroclix.   Not only playing this minature table top game with Marvel characters was awesome, but when I opened up a box of DC characters I'm like ..... who is this character?   Who is this villain?   It was like unlocking a treasure trove of secrets, of unearthing a tomb of lost gold.   Ok, maybe that's a little over dramatic.   But the fact is, is that DC had tons of characters that I had no idea who they were, and that was attractive to me.

But now thanks to the plethora of DC animated shows, and animated movies, and my lack of funds and room for Marvel ... well, DC's grown closer to my heart.   They may not be the best out there, but for me, its the most accessable.   And then there's Linda Carter.

The blinds aren't on all the time though, DC has screwed up, most importantly with the lack of communication with WB .. Batman excluded ... seriously a decent hero movie, that's all I ask.   They also push the boundaries a bit too far with its violence, not restricted to just their vertigo titles.   I remember when I was in college and this character called 'Lobo' came on the scene .. back then everything was all about keeping things gritty .. and I collected all of Lobo that I could.   Inter-galactic hitman.   One night I just took it all to a trash bin, and got rid of the whole lot.    Comics are great, but if anything brings you down in your walk with God, trash it.   Always a good motto to live by.


For those of you (and you know who you are) that has claimed that Marvel constantly outsells DC -- which is fine .. really .. I do like Marvel, it is my first comic book love ... but I do have to point to THIS site which has the sales figures for the company's.     Pretty close eh?  And notice that titles like Green Lantern and Justice League are up there, and the Flash .. Not JUST batman ;)   Love ya bro, you know who you are!!   

As much as a newer fan of DC I am, they have tons of stinker titles.   I have 10 really long boxes filled with them downstairs (my pastor's) that I have barely touched.    I'm talking the beginings of the Justice league, and Superman, and all that.   The only ones worth grabbing and reading were ones done by artist/writer John Byrne, or comics starting around the death of Superman.   Strangley or not, THAT is when I can be a DC fan.    Why?  Because they read like Marvel comics.   Go figure.

Now to watch The Tick.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment