Monday, June 14, 2010

Abimelech --- the sermon

I preached on Abimelech, in Judges 8:28-9:57 last Sunday, a story of a man whose pride and ambition pushed him away from God.   This is something that we all struggle with to some degree, and which not only affects our relationship with the Lord, but also, with each other.    I enjoy the role of Jotham, and a reminder that no matter how bad things get, God comes through in the end, and righteousness prevails.   Check out this incredible event in history, and keep your pride in check.     I concluded my sermon with a great word from Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."   Notice that we ask God to show us HIS ways, not ours, and we are guided by HIS truth, and HIS teachings.   That HE is LORD, not us, and that our hope is in GOD, not is us.    When I read this, I'm reminded that my hope in my own abilities is meanings (Ecclesiastes-ish ... I know ;)   ), but my hope in HIS abilities to work in, through, and around me is boundless.

Just some thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment